Welcome to a new school year and the Parents as Teachers Newsletter. We hope everyone had an enjoyable summer of fun and relaxation!
For the 2012-2013 school year, Parents as Teachers will continue to operate on a limited budget. This however, will not affect the Health and Developmental screenings. Parents as Teachers will continue to offer the health and developmental screenings to all children age 3 months to kindergarten entry. These screenings are offered free of charge at our Parents as Teachers office located in the Windsor Elementary School in Kimmswick, MO. Screenings will be held on Thursdays from 8:30 to 3:30. Please call the Parents as Teachers office at 636-464-4499 to schedule a screening for your child.
Each screening lasts between 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Your child will be seen by our nurse, Angie Buhlmann, RN. She will weigh and measure your child and then do a vision and hearing evaluation. The develpmental portion of your child’s screening will be administered by Parents as Teachers or Windsor Early Childhood staff members.
Children 3 months to 35 months will be given the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) screening. The ASQ covers 5 areas of development: communication, gross motor, fine motor, problem-solving and personal/social. Children 3 years to kindergarten entry will be given the Dial 4 developmental screening. There are 3 portions of the Dial 4 screening; Motor (fine and gross), Concepts (numbers, letters, shapes, colors, etc…) and Language.
You will accompany your child throughout the entire screening. The results of the screening will be shared with you upon completion, and any recommendations if necessary.
Screenings are highly recommended and are an excellent method of tracking your child’s development. They can serve 2 purposes. One, they can assure you that your child is developing properly. And secondly, the screening tool can be used to detect developmental delays. Screening dates and times fill up quickly, so please don’t hesitate to call, 636-464-4499.
Home visits will be offered on a limited basis. The “guidelines” and “characteristics” for home visit, set by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education since the budget cuts, continue to be in place. Please call the Parents as Teachrs office, 636-464-4499 to see if you qualify for home visits, or if you have a new baby or are pregnant.
This school year the Windsor Parents as Teachers program will be partnering with the Windsor Early Childhood classes for some fun activities throughout the year. The Early Childhood classes do not meet on Fridays, so they are planning several parent/child activity days and have graciously invited our Parents as Teachers families to participate. Miss Mindy will contiue to offer her storytime/playgroup. These will now be moved to Fridays, so the Early Childhood parents can participate with their children. Storytimes will be the 2nd Friday of each month, beginning in October. Check out all the great activities we have planned so far:
- “All About Me”: Friday, September 14, 2012, 10:00-11:00 a.m.: All about me will be a fun hour of activities centered around your child, as an individual because there is no one else just like them. Please call 636-464-4499 to register.
- Storytime/playgroup with Miss Mindy: Friday, October 9, 2012, 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Join Miss Mindy at Windsor Elementary for a themed storytime, including; books, crafts, snacks, socialization and child development tips. Registration at 636-464-4499.
- Stuckmeyer’s Pumpkin Patch: Friday, October 19, 2012, 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Your family is sure to enjoy this group meeting including a wagonride, Fort Spooky, inflated maze and a small pumpkin. $7.00 per person. To register, please call 636-464-4499.
- Storytime/playgroup with Miss Mindy: Friday, November 9, 2012, 9:30010:30 a.m.: Looking for something fun and free to do with the kids? How about P.A.T. storytime at Windsor Elementary? Let us know if you can make it, 636-464-4499.
- Magic House Family Night: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 6:00-8:00 p.m.: The Magic House will be reserved especially for Windsor Parents as Teachers and Early Childhood and the Festus Co-op P.A.T. This night is free of charge and provided through the museum’s education fund. Register at 636-464-4499.
- Powder Valley Nature Center: Friday, November 30, 2012, 9:30-10:30 a.m. P.A.T. and Early Chilhood families will meet at Powder Valley for a nature program and hike. To register, please call 636-464-4499
- Storytime/playgroup with Miss Mindy: Friday, December 14, 2012, 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Come celebrate the holidays with P.A.T. friends at the December storytime. For fun, food and festivities call the P.A.T. office at 636-464-4499.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall on Bumbo Baby Seats. The Commission reports 2 dozen skull fractures to babies who have wiggled out of the seats. If you own a Bumbo, you can get a FREE repair kit that includes a restraint belt. To get the repair kit, visit the website, www.recall.BumboUSA.com or call 866-898-4999 between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., CT Monday – Thursday and 8 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Fridays. Do not return the Bumbo seat to retailers.
Also, the Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled the Bumbo in 2007 for additional warning labels against placing the seats on raised surfaces. Please, if you us a Bumbo for you child, have it placed on the floor and use the resstraint belt once you receive it.