Located in an unincorporated area of Northern Jefferson County, the Windsor School District is a bed room community made up of several small towns and subdivisions. The area associated with Windsor includes the towns of Kimmswick, Imperial, and Barnhart.
The area has grown from a small rural district to a fairly large suburban type district of over 3,000 students.
The district does not have an industrial or manufacturing base, so most of the patrons travel to work. The income and educational level of our patrons is high compared to most of the districts in Jefferson County.
This district was organized on February 25, 1922 at a meeting held in the White School. At this meeting it was decided by a vote of 205 to 82 that the districts of Kimmswick, White, Sulphur Springs, and Barnhart along with small parts of the Moss Hollow and Seckman districts be organized into one district. It was to be known as Consolidated District Number One of Jefferson County Missouri.
The school was named Windsor School at a meeting of the Board of Directors on December 12, 1938 in honor of the Gunboat Windsor, which sank during the Civil War and now lies in the Mississippi River at Windsor Harbor.
The original Windsor School went only to the eighth grade. After completing their education here, the students went on to High School at the neighboring districts of Herculaneum or Crystal City.
The Windsor District includes 3 Elementary Schools, a Middle School, and a High School.
Theodore Kimm, a native of Brunswick, Germany, laid out the Town of Kimmswick in 1859. He named the town after himself and chose the suffix “wick” which is Saxon origin, meaning bay, village, or station. The site he chose had the advantages of both river and railroad transportation and proximity to St. Louis. Following the Civil War, this early German community prospered with new businesses, saloons, and hotels. It had a flour mill, a brewery, several greenhouses, floral gardens, a brick kiln to produce bricks for the town, a lumber yard, a post office, a tin shop, a general store, a bank, a butcher shop, a shoe store, a barber shop and the large three-story brick National Hotel on Front Street. People were attracted to the mineral springs north of the town. It is interesting to visit the Kimm cemetery located inside the city. Kimmswick was a booming port town at one time.
Imperial was once known as West Kimmswick. The name changed during World War I, when someone opened a business called the Imperial Clock Works. Imperial was laid out in 1905.
Barnhart located just to the south of Imperial was named for C.L. Barnhart in the early 1900′s. At one time it was a tourist attraction. The Kohler City store with the old man in the rocking chair outside the building brought in tourists from all over to see such things as used false teeth and reading glasses for sale. When Interstate 55 went through, Barnhart became less prosperous.