Through movement, singing, listening, writing, and instrumental experiences, students in second grade learn about the following musical concepts:
- Reading, Writing, and Performing Sol, Mi, La, Do, and Re
- Reading, Writing, and Performing Quarter Note, Eighth Notes, Quarter Rests, Half Notes, Half Rests, Whole Notes, and Whole Rests
- Experiencing Music of Various Cultures
- Analyzing and Describing Musical Forms
- Reading and Writing Standard Musical Notation Including Repeate Signs, Tempo Markings, and Dynamic Markings
The second graders present a performance in the spring. It is usually held in conjunction with the Living History Wax Museum.